The Description Tag (also known as Meta Description) is very important for potential visitors to encourage them to visit your web site and is commonly used on Search Engine Results pages (SERPs) to display preview snippets for a given page.
Example of a Description Tag as seen in Search Engine Results Page
Whilst Description Tags are no longer officially a ranking factor they are extremely important in gaining user click-through.
The Description Tags should use keywords intelligently, but more importantly, create a compelling description that a searcher will want to click. The description should optimally be between 150-160 characters with spaces.
Description Tag Optimisation Checklist:
• Does your Description Tag contain your targeted keywords?
• Is your Description Tag content between 150-160 characters with spaces?
• Does your Description content help users understand better what your web page is about?
• If relevant to your web page does it include a phone number?
• Is your Description Tag content unique?
If you would like to find out more about how we can help your business and your website, simply give us a call on 03 9739 5445 we’d be glad to help.